C. Mandell - Fall, 2006
General Psychology 47.101
Study Guide Unit 6:
Personality and Development
Chapter 11 - pp 481 -
Chapter 12 - pp - 541
Chapter 11: Personality
- How is personality defined.
- Explain psychological determinism
- Distinguish between Freud's personality
structures: the ego, the id and the superego.
- What are the 5 psychosexual
stages in Freud's theory?
- What do we mean by fixation?
- What are the characteristics of
fixation at the different stages?
- What are defense mechanisms: Describe
the common defense mechanisms.
- What were the main contributions
of the neo-Freudians: Jung, Adler and Horney?
- Define collective unconscious; archetype; superiority and
inferiority complex, privilege envy.
- What is meant be humanistic
- What is meant by self-actualization? What is the need
hierarchy? With whom is this concept associated?
- What is meant by unconditional positive regard? With whom
is this concept associated?
- What is the distinction between
trait theory and personality theory?
- What do we mean by factors or superfactors?
- What is the five-factor model? Eysenck's
three factor model?
- What are the major methods of
- What are inventories (MMPI)?
- What is the Rorschach test? What
is the TAT?
- How does a child's physical and
motor development improve with age?
- How do perceptual abilities
improve with age?
- What do we learn about perception
from the visual cliff experiments?
- How does memory develop through
- Explain Piaget's theory of
- Define the following terms:
schema; accommodation; assimilation?
- What are the characteristics of Piaget's four stages, sensorimotor,
preoperational concrete operations and formal operations?
- Define conservation; egocentrism;
- What do researchers believe the
Piaget underestimated infants?
- What is a "theory of
- What is Vygotsky's sociocultural
theory? What is private speech?
- What is attachment? What are the
different types of attachment?
- Describe the development of self
concept and identity.
- How do gender roles develop? What
is gender identity?
- What is moral development?
- How does Kohlberg test moral
- What are the stages of moral
development that Kohlberg talks about?