Violence in America
Professor Byrne – Spring, 2008
Violence Paper Outline
Format: APA Style, reference page( see APA style manual link)
Length: 10-15 pages
Topic Areas: Approved by Prof. Byrne, but choose one of the
following general violence topic areas: (1) school violence, (2) workplace
violence, (3) community/gang violence, (4) Violence in the helping professions,
(5) serial killers, (6) murder , (7) Rape, (8) Assault, (9) Institutional
violence, and (10) Cult Violence.
Outline Due: Week 3(your outline should be detailed and include
each of the sections described in the "organization section" below, along with a
preliminary bibliography—citing sources from major, tier 1 journals-- in APA
format. The outline will be graded and represents 10% of your term paper grade)
Final Paper Due:
Week 12 (late
papers receive grade reductions for each day late)
Organization of Paper:
Section 1: Intro./overview/extent of problem
Section 2: Causes of the problem
Section 3: Prevention Strategies: Can this type of violence be prevented
Section 4: Control Strategies Overview
Section 5: Specific Case study/violence analysis( identify a specific case
study to analyze in your violence topic area)
- Police response to the problem
- Court response to the problem
- Correction system’s response to the problem
- Community response to the problem (e.g., vigilante justice, private policing)
Section 6: Concluding comments: What does the future look like for this type of violence?
- What happened?
- Why did it happen?
- Could the crime have been prevented?
- Were control strategies effective?
- Impact of the case on the offender, victim, community, & criminal/juvenile justice system?
© 2000 University of Massachusetts Lowell, Class Connections
Graphics & Design by: Thomas Pimental & Michelle Christman
In Association with: CLASS Connections